Tuesday, February 9, 2010

They say "no ark necessary," but...

...my dear husband might wish I was living on my own ark after I begin my latest campaign to support Blood:Water Mission.

Click here and watch the very short video:
http://www.bloodwatermission.com/fortydays.php

I don't even know where this idea came from. Must be from God, because I went so far as to tell Jena Lee Nardella, executive director of B:WM when she was riding in my car with me earlier this month, that I support all other campaigns but just can't do this one. You'd think--if I had the least bit of confidence or conviction about this--that being with her in person would have been the one time I would have tried to pull it off. But nope, just said, "not gonna do it."

However, as soon as her visit was over, the pesky idea would keep springing into my mind out of nowhere. I could only shove it away for so long before it hit me--with a thud--WAIT! am I supposed to be doing this? I tallied up the money I would save on alternative beverages in 40 days and reached about 100 bucks. Well, that would make a huge difference in many lives in Uganda, the focus of this years 40 Days of Water campaign.

I gingerly tossed the idea out there, hoping someone would talk me out of it. My mom tried, but then I found out she hadn't watched the video, so she didn't know why I was doing it. She just thought I was crazy. Well, I'm not saying I'm not. :) But more people told me to do it and, more than that, that *they would do it with me!*

I realized then why I was meant to do this. More than my $100, this is my opportunity to take my advocacy to the next level and teach others about the need for clean water in Africa. Thanks to all of you who have already pledged to do this with me. Whether you save $20 to turn in or $200 (one of my friends is doing 40 days and is going to donate the money from her daily Starbucks trip!) it will make a difference. And as others ask you about why you're only drinking water or what the blue band on your arm means (if you choose to wear the cool 40 days bracelet that Blood:Water sends) you will have the chance to educate others. And education is the first step in doing something about the problem. KNOW --> LOVE --> ACT.

And, finally, in a little postscript. If you are unsure, as I was, that you can make it 40 straight days with only water to drink--take heart. I counted the dates of 40 Days of Water, February 17 to April 3, and realized there were actually 46. My friend Matt Ward who works at Blood:Water educated me more about Lent and sent me this link: http://catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/f/Counting_Lent.htm Ah, another reason to work for the weekend. :)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey, I found your blog from the BWM Facebook link. I have decided to take this plunge, too. Most of my friends and family have been neutral in their response.

I'll check back in to see how you're doing. :)

Lauren

Renee said...

I don't think I could do it. I drink a lot of water but I like having coffee and tea at home. I think I would rather give up something else.

I am proud of you for doing this.

we4ramseys said...

My sweet friend, we CAN do this together. It's mind over matter. Yes, you will go through some caffeine and habitual withdrawls. I pray that as you feel the strong urge to have your daily coffee you'll see it from the perspective of whether you're going to own the coffee, or whether it owns you. It's convicting to come to the realization that we are controlled by our food and drink.

I haven't added up how much money my daily Starbucks coffees will be, but it'll also be a different conviction when I do. I already had a chance to share about the need for clean water in Africa when I told my "friends" at Starbucks on Monday why I wouldn't be seeing them again until April. Sigh.... I've already started b/c I'm doing a candida cleanse at the same time.

I got my bracelet in the mail yesterday and I'm ready to share with others. You go girl - you can do this.

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

I love how convicted you have become about this and how you have so creatively come up with different ways for supporting this mission!

Hope you all enjoyed all the snow, and hope you had a great Valentine's Day!

xoxox