I just can't forget this....
So, we had our goodbye party at preschool today. Ainsley had been saying for a couple weeks now that she's really going to miss her teacher, Mrs. S, and wishes that Mrs. S could be her kindergarten teacher. But other than that, she took the whole "end of an era" thing in stride.
We went from last day festivities straight to the grocery store, so we got home late in the afternoon. Ainsley went out to the backporch to play with bubbles and I could hear her singing, but couldn't make out the words. I figured she was happy. She was singing!
Then I heard a knock on the back door (she needed help opening it b/c of her sticky hands) and I opened the door and looked down into her sad (!?!) little face. She wasn't crying, but it was obvious she was dealing with emotions. She said, "Momma, this is the worst day of my life." I reached out for her, "Why, baby?" "Because preschool is over," she said.
My goodness. My heart broke! We settled in on the couch. I was ready to let her cry it out, cuddle her, whatever she needed. I just said, "It's hard to say goodbye, isn't it?" And she nodded. I thought of 4 or 5 things I was about to say in the line of it will get better, we'll see our friends again, God will comfort us. I didn't say any of them. Instead I hugged her close and just agreed, "Yes, it's hard."
And then she gave me butterfly kisses and we laughed and tickled and laughed more and were all done being sad.
1 comment:
Awe, you're such a great mom. I can picture that whole scene in my mind. I usually tend to say too much; this is a good reminder that fewer words can be better. Love it.
Post a Comment