Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Scattering my heart around the world

Over Labor Day Mark and I were so blessed to go serve together at Casa Hogar Elim Orphanage in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. The kids captured our hearts! We had some really special interactions while we were there, especially with this little boy who is sitting closest to Mark.

It was Jonny's first night at the orphanage. We were actually there when his mom dropped him and his little sister off at the front gate. Recently widowed, she had no help to take care of her kids and turned to the only place she knew who would love and care for her kids. I held him through his crying, but it was Mark who took away his tears by gifting him a brand new Hot Wheel, and playing with him for a long time.
We also both loved the youngest resident of CHE, little Willy. It's safe to say I held him a lot.


We celebrated a young lady's life as she turned 15!

Mark and some more kids.


While we were there, it was decided that the project during October would be re-doing the nursery. There is a guy from our church who so fell in love with this orphanage two years ago that he goes every month! And there are several people who also go on a very regular basis. I can see why people would give up an entire weekend, drive 8 hours each way, spend their own money for the trip plus more for supplies and projects and, unfortunately, risk their lives crossing the border at a dangerous time in which we find ourselves with the current border situation. I can see why, though, it's the kids. They just hop right into your heart and stay there. Even back in the safety and comfort of our suburban life, you find yourself wondering what they're doing each part of the day. Now you know their faces, names, stories. And you can't forget, even if you wanted to.

I was so fortunate to be able to go back down this last weekend to work on the nursery makeover. It went from an unsafe assemblage of beds with random mattressess to this:
Praise God!!
Here is one of the beds that came out.
And here is a girl, that if it were at all possible, I would have brought back with me. No kidding. I asked about it. Mark and I had only had the briefest, surface-level conversation about it, so perhaps it was best that I didn't come home with an announcement that we had a new daughter. ;)
Her name is Lupita. And I adore her.
Here I am with Antonio, who really likes Mark and missed him on this trip. Somehow, I think it's safe to say he'll be there again, though.

And I got to cuddle with sweet Willy, who's getting bigger and is now seems a healthy 4 month old. Yay God for providing for these children and letting us be a little tiny part of it.
If you'd like to see more pictures of the nursery makeover, please go to the Facebook page for Compassion Preston Trail and there are several more!

3 comments:

Renee said...

Oh Nancy. I am trying not to sob after reading this. I feel heart broken for the kids who arrived when you were there in September and for their mother. And for Willy. I am so glad you could go again and love on them.

Unknown said...

What an amazing experience you must have had. I am sure all of those children touched your lives forever!

~Becca

The Farmer Files said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I know how the border situation is, and I love that God provided safety for you all to serve.