Monday, July 6, 2009

Long, Full, Wonderful Day

Thursday ended up being a busy day for me (and Ainsley!) It included a drive down to Red Oak that morning where I delivered several pieces of art that were donated to the Ride:Well concert and art auction that will be happening this Friday night.

Here is the piece I made for the event.
I titled it "Our Story Is One Of Hope."

Ainsley has been down to Red Oak with me several times this summer. Mark and I decided not to put her in any program for the summer, so she is my constant companion. She has been such a big girl at the meetings--keeping herself occupied. Of course, it's really helped that her BFF Jenna has loaned her a Leapster a couple times!
This time, however, I was only meeting with one person--the young lady who is in charge of much of the event--and she offered for us to have our meeting inside the play area so Ainsley could play. Isn't that wonderful??


She even got in with her to get her started! Thanks, Nina!


How fun does that place look for a kid?!
Including big kids! :)




So, Nina and I were able to have our meeting and she asked me if I would be "captain" of the art auction part of the evening. Of course I said yes--I am thrilled and nervous. She said they're expecting about 1000 people! Pray for the art auciton to go smoothly and to raise LOTS of $$$$ for Marsabit, Kenya!

We drove from Red Oak to Arlington for a visit with Nonny. We went to a dr. appt., out to eat and then did lots of shopping!
Aren't they so cute?



Then I found out that our crazy and courageous friend, Daren (you might remember him from The Earth Expedition) was setting off on a road trip to California and was going to be driving near our house and wanted to catch up with us! We felt so special that he (and his friends going on the trip with him) drove a bit out of their way and spend an hour with us when they had such a long drive ahead of them.
As always, time with Daren was full of good stories and laughter!

We met at the coffee shop in the mall's bookstore (because it was already well after 9 pm when we got there and the other places in the mall were closing.)


When we finally said goodbye to the guys, Ainsley was showing no signs of slowing down and wanted to go read books in the bookstore. Other (read: sane) families wouldn't do that at 10:30, but I never said we weren't crazy.


She was showing such interest in reading, we went ahead that night and bought a beginner reading book set that her preschool teacher had recommended to me for work over the summer.
And, on the way home that night, Ainsley read the first book to us!


She spelled the words, then sounded out the letters. It was slow and a bit choppy, but she could definitely do it. And now, a few days later, she's read me the first 3! These are exciting times!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. Ainsley is so smart - keep up with those reading books - give me the name and a few numbers ahead so I can get some too. You look lovely, by the way. Thanks for taking me to the Doctor and the great visit. Love you all ---

Mom

Renee said...

Wow, she is so smart - and pretty!

I love your dress. You look wonderful.

Unknown said...

Wow- what a LONG day!! Looks like a fun and busy day!!


~Becca

we4ramseys said...

What a day! It would have exhausted me. WAY TO GO AINSLEY! It is so fun hearing them read. What book did you buy for her? We have a few books like that for Evan, but, although fully capable, he flat out refuses to read to us.

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Wow, huge and exciting and busy day! I LOVE that Ainsley is reading -- what a smart girl! Can't wait to hear all about Friday. I know it will be an amazing turnout!

The Farmer Files said...

Wow...sometimes less is more. We kind of did the same thing with our kindergartener-to-be. We had such a year of transition that this summer just meant a lot of family time. His life is full without anything else right now!