Sunday, August 17, 2008

Confirmed!

Since we moved to Texas, I have been searching high and low (ok, at least keeping an eye out as I went about my normal routine) for an armadillo. I have loved the idea of seeing one of these dudes since I was kid. The whole idea of an armor-covered super-critter is exciting to me. I picture these little knights-of-the-wilderness battling the evil creatures in some distant prarie land that would be deadly to any human who dared to enter -- kind of like the real-life version of the R.O.U.S.s of The Princess Bride's Fire Swamp, but with armor, and probably a sword tucked in there somewhere. The great battles they have fought over the centuries must have brought huge accolades to the wiggly warriors throughout their strong history.

I am overjoyed that my quest has come to fruition! Not only did I finally have a fully confirmed sighting (which happened to be just beyond the boundry of our neighborhood!), I had the camera with me. Yes!

I am honored to have come upon this elusive animal and personally confirmed its existence here in Texas, but it is with great shock and sadness that I report that this brave armadillo unfortunately had lost his life. There must have been a great battle the likes of which we, thankfully, do not often see. I can only imagine that the enemy forces must have been massive, mighty, and well-armored themselves.

I am keeping a sharp eye opened around the area, for I am certain that this catastrophe will not go unanswered. Do not worry for us, though. For where there is one brave warrior willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, there are certainly many more of these valiant creatures. My armor-plated friend, I am grateful to have met you.

2 comments:

margaret said...

Mark - you are cracking me up. that is awesome. have you thought about writing books? after reading your blog - i too feel better for having seeing the battle scared armadillo. i'm sure he was fighting for the honor of his cute armadillo bride or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I am now wondering who my neighbors really are?