Thursday, August 7, 2008

I bet you can't...

...read this article and not be moved!

This was written by Steven Curtis Chapman whose daughter, Maria Sue, was killed in a tragic accident this last May.

A couple excerpts:

"Caring for these children is not the job of governments or institutions; instead, it is the job of families, people and communities. As Christians, our compassion is simply a response to the love that God has already shown us. Mother Teresa would constantly remind those who worked with her that the Bible clearly teaches that whatever we do for the least of these, we do for Jesus. "


"If only 7 percent of the 2 billion Christians in the world would care for a single orphan in distress, there would effectively be no more orphans. If everybody would be willing to simply do something to care for one of these precious treasures, I think we would be amazed by just how much we could change the world."


Read the article for their own personal story. It's a great article and is declaring God's love and plan for us on the front page of CNN!


I believe God uses moving things like these in our lives to move us toward action. I had come across several similar items regarding the huge orphan crisis in the world, and particularly Africa, right before I was made aware of the documentary Sons Of Lwala. I think God had just put my heart in the right place to be ready to do something, however small. At some point, our being upset at the scenes we see on TV and read about in the papers, decrying that it shouldn't be that way, and getting emotional or being moved stops meaning anything if we never DO anything.


"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after widows and orphans in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

No comments: