Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas Flashback - 30 years ago

Mark and his brother Justin, Christmas morning 30 years ago in Virginia. Santa was pretty generous to us back then with a nice handful of presents under the tree and a loaded set of stockings. A couple of our favorite Hot Wheels are on the floor next to each of us -- a must-have stocking stuffer! Justin and I used to play Hot Wheels for hours and hours. Notice the awesome fireplace to the left of the Christmas tree -- Mom and Dad put it out each year for us (Santa had to get in, right?). It was cardboard and had a little set of logs that flickered a bit of light around the room. The fireplace utensils (broom, shovel, poker) are just painted on. We thought it was terrific!

Above, Justin is smiling for the obligatory tree picture. A nice one I might add.

And Mark smiles for his tree shot, holding a soon-to-be-devoured candy cane. Nice job on the photos, Dad, as those tree lights sure do have a star-like glow.
I can't believe it's been 30 years? What memories will we all create at Christmas this year? I hope some that our family can cherish 30 years from now!

10 comments:

Justin L. Powell said...

Wow.

That really was a lifetime ago. I can't even remember being that little.

And to think, this year for Lexi, Ainsley and Annabelle (and to a lesser extent Noah) is that like that Christmas was for me age wise!

Crazy.

Anonymous said...

What cuties!!!! I love the Christmas memories! xox

Mark said...

You're right, Bro. I keep thinking about how special these days will be to our kids years from now. As we all go through the daily motions, they are really building their childhood memories. I am so thankful that the kids can be together right now. It is a tremendous blessing! Wanna play Hot Wheels?! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, Mark! Thanks for sharing. Ainsley looks just like you in your tree picture!!!

Your turn Nancy!:)

Paolo Avilla said...

Wow, AWESOME pic and stories. I loved the fireplace, that was pretty cool. I can't get over how much Lexi looks like Justin! Mark, the bowl hair cut was fantastic. This was a great post.

Mark said...

I thought someone might like my cut. Most of my childhood pictures are about that way. I don't remember an actual bowl on my head, but Mom sure had a good eye for keeping the bangs nice and straight across the front. Justin had much cooler hair looking back, but as a little boy running around the neighborhood and playing in the dirt, I didn't seem to care much about the hair. Or about the crazy '70s clothes that are in some other pictures.

Renee said...

Lydia keeps pointing to the first picture and saying, "There's Wesley." I think she is pointing to Mark.

Great photos and memories.

margaret said...

cutie pics. lexi looks just like justin. precious.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I absolutely love the fireplace. Your parents were so clever!
Carrie

we4ramseys said...

Ha ha! That's a great post. I love the fireplace best of all. All this talk about creating meaningful childhood memories really puts the pressure on; until you realize that a great memory can be of nothing more than time together, traditions good or bad, and some great Christmas decorations.

Merry Christmas