Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Friday: Pioneers and Heroes: Past and Present

So, Friday was the conference at which Milton and Fred Ochieng' were speaking and the primary reason for the trip. I got up early and took the hotel shuttle for a short ride down to the convention center. Once inside, I found everything easily, got my badge and everyone was so friendly. I met Joel Wickre, executive director of Lwala Community Alliance and Barry Simmons, who made the film Sons of Lwala. WOW!

The presentation was incredible--very moving and inspiring. So many doctors and nurses around me were touched--I saw people wiping away tears! I learned even more about their journey and story and was so excited knowing I was about to get to meet them! Modern day heroes. (If you read my blog and haven't watched this movie yet, what are you waiting for? Let me know if you need a copy--I'll loan you one.) Another reason to watch now: Barry was there with a camera crew and they are filming a follow-up to the story! Can't wait!


They were so friendly! And their different personalities come out just like they do in the movie.


Ainsley took this picture for us--I think you can tell. Mark, Milton, Joel, Nancy and Fred.


We had to say goodbye to Milton. He had to go back to work, but fortunately Fred was free and decided to hang out with us after his conference duties were over.



Friday afternoon, Mark, Ainsley and I headed to the NASA Space center.
Flying the space shuttle is a little complicated.

We waited a while, but got on the tram that took us on a tour of the "real" space buildings. It was neat to see the building where they are really working on the next moon flight--but we didn't get to go inside that one.


This was the real mission control room for all the trips to the moon. In other words, this exact place is where they called back to "Houston".


We saw a Saturn V rocket and wow, is it BIG!!


See the people on the other side?


Ainsley and I are touching a piece of the moon!


I had to include this next picture of this armadillo walking around the space center office buildings. I don't think I'd ever seen a (live) armadillo out and about. After all we had just seen (and there was much I didn't include here) I asked Ainsley at the end of the day what her favorite thing was at NASA. Her answer? The armadillo!


Back in Houston, Fred and Joel met up with us for dinner. Here Fred is coloring in Ainsley's princess coloring book. :) You'll see that they continued to really get along well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, your passion for life is so contagious and your such a blessing to have in my life.

I really admire you:)

Love ya girl!

we4ramseys said...

I'm so happy for you that you got to meet them. I know you were on cloud nine. It looks like a great trip. I haven't seen the movie yet.... Maybe at the end of April?