Saturday, October 18, 2008

Seven Random Things About Nancy

I was tagged by my dear friend Renee to post 7 random things about myself. So, hmmmm.....that should be easy, because I am a very random person. And my other friend, Jill, is wondering how I'll only choose 7. No, really, my friends do love me! =)

1. I am not shy. I will dance in public, speak in front of a crowd, ask for things others wouldn't, take risks (like risk making a fool out of myself if the payoff seems worth it.) I have gotten things (both physical and experiential) because of this trait. I also think it makes me a better hostess because I'm outgoing, can speak to people I don't know and make them feel welcome. The randomness comes in because I'm that 30-something year old mom at the grocery store late at night singing along with her ipod. I just really don't care if people notice me or not.

2. When I was a teenager, I lived in Japan for a few years and I was a model. It was a dream come true in my short life. I had fantastic experiences going on "shoots" and it was so neat seeing myself in ads! I mean, some of them were dorky, but some were cool. I remember thinking I can't believe they paid me to do it when I would have done it for free. Now the pictures are souvenirs of a very fun part of my life.

3. I have a very rare neuromuscular disease called hyperkalemic periodic paralysis.

4. I feel I have a very international spirit. In college I majored in political science with emphasis on International Relations. I have lived in Japan and Colombia and traveled to several other countries. I love travel and foreign language. I can speak Spanish pretty well and a decent bit of Japanese, and I have a passing understanding of some very basic French and German. Wish I knew more!

5. If I could have any career, I wish I could be a professional singer. And believe me, if I had talent, I would go for it. But I can't sing at all, which puts a damper on the plan.

6. Right here in my mid-30s, I feel God has finally revealed one of the main purposes in my life and that is to use my love and gifts for planning events to raise awareness and funds to the causes He lays on my heart. I do so love planning parties and well, planning anything! And now I feel like there's a higher calling for what has been only for fun before. But it's still fun! And I feel such purpose. I want to be laid in the grave (hopefully many, many years from now) completely worn out and used up! I don't want to hold anything back. I want God to use me and stretch me and humble me even more that He would even consider me a tool that He could use at all. I love Him and am so grateful and therefore want to live out what His son said, "By this will all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." I don't know what all He has in store for the future, but right now I feel an extremely heavy burden for Africa and their lack of clean, healthy water and almost non-existent access to basic health care.

7. I was born in Anchorage, Alaska.

Okay, dear friends, I'm such an open book, did you actually learn anything about me? Do I need to do a second post "Seven REALLY Random Things"?? What do you think? Is there something you think is random that I didn't share? Let me know!

Many of my friends have already been tagged. Jill, do you want to do another post? You didn't do 7! I also tag Paolo, if they'll do it (they're kind of incognito....but I'd love for you to play.) And I also tag Margaret. Time to start a blog, Margaret, you've been tagged!!!!!

9 comments:

Renee said...

You could have called it "Seven Reasons My Friends Love Me." Well, I dont' know if the the last one makes us love you or just makes you more interesting. Number six made me cry.

Btw, you need to show us those modeling photos!

Anonymous said...

Renee, I was thinking the EXACT same thing about the photos....

Come on Nancy, lets see them!!!!

I just did 25 so I possibly cant be tagged.....

Margaret not blogging???(must be a Mo'Kinney thing:)

Anonymous said...

I know several things I could ad, but will keep quiet for a current picture of Ainsley

example: She has had boyfriends from 3 different countries - not counting USA.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, I LOVE that my mom is blackmailing me on my own blog. ha ha ha ha!! Ok, Nonny, you win! I'll get you a picture of Ainsley stat!!

And, R & J, I'll see if I can find my old portfolio. It is around here somewhere. be prepared to laugh your cute hineys off!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

That was so much fun reading about you! Yeah, let's see some pics! :) And your Mom's comment was hilarious!

Paolo Avilla said...

I can't believe after all these years I haven't seen those modeling pics. Have I? I loved what you wrote, wasn't surprised. You are a very eloquent writer, and I love the eclectic nature of your blog (really, your life.) Life is never dull with Nancy, which is awesome. Miss you.

Our Complete Family said...

Hi Nancy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a note! That is so neat that you lived in Japan! My Dad's AF overseas assignments never took me to Japan, but quite a few other spots! My AF hubby and I moved back from a 3 year in Germany in 2005. We can't wait to go overseas again! He's acutally going to Japan and Guam in a few weeks for a tdy! I'm going to have fun popping back by your blog hun! ~ Leslie

Our Complete Family said...

Hi Nancy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a note! That is so neat that you lived in Japan! My Dad's AF overseas assignments never took me to Japan, but quite a few other spots! My AF hubby and I moved back from a 3 year in Germany in 2005. We can't wait to go overseas again! He's acutally going to Japan and Guam in a few weeks for a tdy! I'm going to have fun popping back by your blog hun! ~ Leslie

Laura said...

Oh, Nancy, I too could talk about some of those old boyfriends your mom mentioned, but since you could tell some about me, I'll be quiet. I fortunately have seen Nancy modeling photos. I must say they are pretty cool!

Love you!
Laura