Saturday, November 15, 2008

Giveaway Day 15 and Totally Fall Fabulous!

Last night, Ainsley went to play with some friends while Mark and I had a date! We sent her off in style--in a cheetah coat and hat we got for a steal at the MOPS consignment sale a few weeks ago. Look at the little fashionista!


And a few days ago I mentioned that we won an entire outfit for her in a doorprize drawing...here are the pics. Love the outfit on her! Fall Fabulous!



As we headed out today, Ainsley called Mamaw and they had a nice chat.

About last night...we went out to eat at our favorite Thai restaurant Jasmine. If you are in the area, or ever come visit us and like Thai food, we should go here together sometime. It is delicious. Full of Thai people both as staff and customers, which is always a good sign.

Before going to the restaurant, we stopped at another Christmas bazaar at a nearby church. We found a couple treasures (which I can't show because the people receiving them as gifts might read this blog.) We also found something we decided to buy and give as today's giveaway.
Isn't this the neatest cross?




Now, you know that our giveaways this month are mostly things we already have and are choosing to downsize, but this is the story with these crosses: They are made from old oil barrels and hand-painted by Haitian artists. All proceeds from the art goes to fund a school for some very poor children in Haiti. Apparently, people have to pay to go to school there in Haiti, so usually the poorest cannot attend. Through this school, children who were abandoned or were street children can go free. This school, as well as home for some of the children is supported by the Timoun Foundation.





Below is the exact cross we bought. We wanted to support their worthy cause and thought by explaining it and giving away the cross, we could help spread the word. It really is a nice piece of art with a unique story.

If you have a place you would like to display this cross (at least during the holidays!) and offer a prayer for the children it helps to support, it is yours! Just leave a comment!

5 comments:

we4ramseys said...

I have a small collection of Haitian unpainted oil drum art hanging around my house. I'm not sure that the pieces I purchased helped any needy children, but anyway. I will take that cross and hang it at Easter.

Anonymous said...

Great, Michele! You've got such neat art, I am sure you will find a perfect place for it! We're happy it's going to a good home. :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad someone wanted the cross, so now I can just comment on my precious girl. Very styling and love her expressions. I truly enjoy our phone conversations. She remembers topics from previous conversations and asks about them.
She had me at birth !!!

Love, Mam Ma

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love Thai food! I am so jealous of your yummy food. I hope the date night was wonderful!
Carrie

Paolo Avilla said...

LOVE the outfit!! Watch out Nan, you really are creating a Fashionista!! The hat is the best.