Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gratitude

I don't even know where to start a post on gratitude. There is so much to be thankful for and for someone who goes around trying (really trying, if not always succeeding) to be grateful on a daily basis, a whole day to celebrate that is almost overwhelming emotionally.

This year I am thankful that Mark is ok. He went bike riding yesterday with Justin and a friend at a park around here and apparently took quite a dramatic leap over his handlebars while going downhill landing hard enough on the ground to lose his breath and lay there awhile. He has a very sore arm and shoulder, but we all realize the outcome could have been so much worse. Justin said he had to pick Mark's bike off of his legs when he got to him, but Mark doesn't remember feeling the bike landing on him, so hey, that's good!

I am thankful that we got some family portraits made today by this amazing photograher. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

I am thankful that tomorrow our house will be full of family, food and love! Kids will be running around, noisy, messy, chaotic and I'm so glad! I am sad, however, that Nonny's so sick and probably won't be joining us. I'm grateful, though, that here we can go to physicians and call on our Great Physician and mindful of those who can't. Or won't. Dear God, give us all eyes to see. Better yet, let us learn to see (each other, especially) with our hearts.

Last year we started a simple Thanksgiving tradition that I look forward to repeating tomorrow. As people come in the house, they are given slips of paper on which to write 3 things for which they are thankful. Any 3 things--general or specific, touching or funny, except for family and God. (Because here we are all thankful for those things and I want us to think a little wider.) An adult even pairs up with each child to help them name 3 things for which they are grateful. Then the slips go into a jar. While we are seated at the table for the meal, I read the 3 things on each slip and we all have to guess whos gratitude paper that is. So fun and yet really simple.

I am also thankful for all of you who take the time to read this blog. It has been such a blessing in my life and I've learned a lot the last several months. I'm looking forward to coming back a little later and catching up on my giveaways. For now, though, I just wanted to express my thanks. May each of you have a blessed Thanksgiving full of giving thanks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the grateful guessing game tradition! right up my alley. I'll have to write that down so that I remember it for Canadian thanksgiving next year =) Have a wonderful day Nancy.